Thursday, January 15, 2009

Future Questions

I have a couple of questions about living the life God has for us.  Sometimes seeing where something is, is more easily done by seeing where it is not…

1)  Do you think we miss God’s plans for our future more often by moving to quickly or by moving to slowly?

2)  Do you think we miss God’s plans for our future more often by trying to hard or by not trying hard enough?

3)  Do you think we miss God’s plans for our future more often by risking to much or by not risking enough?

4)  Do you think we miss God’s plans for our future more often by thinking and planning to much or by not thinking and planning enough?

5)  Do you think we miss God’s plans for our future more often by talking about them to much or by not talking about them enough?

I would love your feedback.  I am continuing to work on the series “Unqualified.”  I am focusing on the idea that we can’t fill the shoes of our future, and that’s OK.  If you have a minute, give me some feedback.

Comment here or email me at scott@cornerchurch.tv

2 comments:

  1. 1) Myself? Too quickly. I have jumped ahead way quick and ruined what God has done. Ever throw a cake into the oven and then realized in your haste that you didn't mix the ingredients? Ok, me neither, but it illustrates the point.

    2) Trying too hard. The very concept is His yoke is light. If I am truly working THAT hard, aren't I trying to do it in my own strength? If I do it in my strength, where is His glory?

    3) Both. Depends on what I am risking. Sarah and I got to talking about a gray elephant issue in the church the other day. I said I would like to err on the side of being too holy than step in to something that is not going to be glorifying to God. Too much risk. However, can I really trust God in my finances if I go where He is telling me? If I invest my time in community or service like God keeps dealing with me, can I trust that He will take care of everything else?

    4) Too much thinking, not enough praying and listening.

    5) Who am I talking to? Trusted confidants? People that can't help just to build my ego? Not enough counsel. Too much ego inflation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott! My thoughts: (Thanks for asking!)

    1. Too quickly if we think we know something about where He is going. If we feel like we have no clue, maybe too slowly because we are afraid to step out into the unknown.

    2. Not hard enough. As soon as things get tough we start to think that maybe it's not God's will because the circumstances are against us, so that must mean God is not in it. Maybe we should remember what God told us and work even harder rather than give up thinking He's not in it.

    3. Not risking enough. It's scary.

    4. Thinking too much and not planning enough. Thinking about whether God is in it, what would be involved in order to do it, whether or not I have what it takes, blah blah blah. Not planning enough because if it's God, "the Spirit will lead" and He will make it happen. However, I am a thinker and a planner, and I feel I need lots of planning time. I could plan forever and never do because it takes risk, I don't ever feel ready and the circumstances are not always right. Blah dee dah.

    5. Not talking enough. If we talk about it alot, I feel like we will challenge one another to do it. There is more of an expectation and anticipation, and more encouragement/support.

    ReplyDelete